RULES FOR COMMENTS

  • Be honest -- if you can't prove it, don't say it.
  • Be polite -- no profanity, name-calling, or rude language
  • Be relevant -- stick to the issues, no personal attacks

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

SELF-PROMOTION

Political campaigns are a great deal like high school. Some of the things that occur are just nonsense! Having to promote yourself is particularly unpleasant.

And when candidates makes claims about themselves, how does a voter know whether or not those claims have any basis in reality? Are they delusional or dishonest or just playing politics? Do their claims jive with their voting records? Are voters discerning enough to compare the candidate's history with their claims? When a candidate claims a stance or position or skill, is it so? Do voters notice anything more than signs and expensive brochures? Is an election more than a popularity contest? So many questions...

I will be to-the bone honest, here. I have no delusions about myself. I know what I am good at, and what I am bad at. I do not alter my opinions based on whom I am speaking to at the moment. I say exactly what I think, and if I'm proved wrong, I admit it. I remember almost everything that I hear or read. I am firmly grounded in correct principles. I have an almost unlimited appetite for discussion. I am curious, tenacious, and smart.

But, let's face it, I am not prom queen material. I'm not cute. I am too tough, too opinionated, and more than a little pushy. I sometimes provoke people. My body is a wreck. And for some strange reason, I am interested in politics.(I list that as a minus, not a plus, because it just might mean that I have a mental problem.)

Will you allow me to serve you? Can you look past the flaws and see my intent? I have some skills and experience and information that I would very much like to put to use for my friends, my neighbors, and my city. I have written the articles below and have laid out, very candidly, my opinions about the issues in Provo. If you agree with me, I need your help, your support, and most of all, your vote!

I encourage all of you to pay close attention to the claims made by the candidates about themselves and their policies. Check their voting records (below). Call someone you trust. Ask questions. Use your best discernment. This election is important. Provo's future is at stake.

No comments: