RULES FOR COMMENTS

  • Be honest -- if you can't prove it, don't say it.
  • Be polite -- no profanity, name-calling, or rude language
  • Be relevant -- stick to the issues, no personal attacks

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

TO BE OR NOT TO BE A POLITICIAN

About two dozen people have told me that if I'm going to get involved with politics, I have to become a politician. In other words, I have to stop saying what I think, and start saying things that make people feel good. I must not be too negative, or too technical, or too honest. If I want to get elected, I have to tell warm fuzzy stories, and make claims about myself that may or may not be accurate, and adjust my message depending on the audience that I am addressing.

What I want to know is, IS THAT TRUE? Are voters no more discerning than to vote for a smile, or an anecdote, and an overblown promise?

I can't accept that. I want to believe that people are responsible citizens. I trust that they will actually determine whether or not a candidate is someone with whom they agree. I hope that they will pay attention to the issues and the voting records and the facts.

For my part, I am going to continue to say exactly what I think. If you agree with me, I'd like your vote. Please read any or all of the articles below. I have been completely candid about my positions. I guess I am not much of a politician.

5 comments:

John Roylance said...

This country would a much better place if we had fewer "politicians". Keep up the fight.

Anonymous said...

This is your time Melanie, your election, your chance. You are the best one for the job. It is the right time for you to have it. Shake up the world. We need YOU to do it.

Healthy Biosphere said...

Provo City needs to start considering our environment. I feel all Provo City wants is to paint a pretty picture. Beauty is only skin deep as we are seeing with the effects of Global Warming and local pollutions.
I am writing this to show you my webpage, www.healthybiosphere.com/river.html
Thanks and Good Life

Anonymous said...

I believe in what Melanie says here. This is the first election I will be able to vote in. I took it upon myself in the primaries to take a look at the candidates and what they said at the neighborhood meeting as opposed to their records. It was difficult to locate a solid record for Brian and Midge to correspond with their words. Midge even has a campaign website! Although I favor her personality, I'll leave it out of the discussion and attest that Melanie is the only candidate devoted to being open about the facts. No ploys, anecdotes, or cute smiles about it.

Anonymous said...

Voters want people who know which side of the wall they're on, not just people who are funny. They want people who are honest and not misleading (even about other candidates) - and people who don't moderate comments.