RULES FOR COMMENTS

  • Be honest -- if you can't prove it, don't say it.
  • Be polite -- no profanity, name-calling, or rude language
  • Be relevant -- stick to the issues, no personal attacks

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE --"OVER THE LINE"

Provo's population is largely LDS. The Church encourages all its members to get involved in politics, but it does not endorse any candidate or party, and it does not allow its meetinghouses, events, or resources to be used in a campaign for political office.

Four years ago, at a Stake picnic, I introduced myself to people, mentioning that I was a candidate for City Council. That was a mistake. My ecclesiastical leader reminded me of the Church's position, and I ceased doing anything like it, afterwards.

I have been extra-cautious during this campaign. Since becoming a candidate, I have refrained from talking politics at any church function. If anyone else initiates the conversation, I politely explain "I don't talk politics at church." One brother did tell me about the chicken running around in his neighborhood, and asked about the law pertaining to livestock in residential areas, but other than that, I have been assiduous.

I have NOT talked politics at church. I have NOT used the stake list to make calls.

Such behavior is "over the line". I suggest that all the candidates be very careful.

5 comments:

John Roylance said...

Great post. Sometimes I just love testimony meeting. I guess we can through in Sunday school.

Roger Brown said...

Melanie what do you think about this public statement from candidate Coy Porter?

"I have also held many various responsible positions with the local ward and stake units of the LDS church. I am currently serving as Stake young men's president ..."

http://coyforcouncil.com/aboutme.html

Roger Brown
ProvoCitizens.net

Anonymous said...

Melanie,


Seeing that you are someone that has made the “mistake” of talking politics at church functions, your statement doesn’t make much sense:

“Such behavior is "over the line". I suggest that all the candidates be very careful.”

I agree with your assessment that church is meant for worship and not for bolstering one’s candidacy; however, is this post an apology for your actions or a poke at other candidates? I just don't get the purpose for the post.

Thanks!

mel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mel said...

I am saying that I understand how a person can step "over the line", inadvertently-- I have done it. When corrected, I appreciated the correction, AND followed the counsel.