RULES FOR COMMENTS

  • Be honest -- if you can't prove it, don't say it.
  • Be polite -- no profanity, name-calling, or rude language
  • Be relevant -- stick to the issues, no personal attacks

Friday, August 17, 2007

-- NO MORE "-ITES" or "-ANS" or "-ATS"

I am not a Republican. I am not a Democrat. I am not an Independent or a Libertarian or a Green. My voter registration card reads "UNA"-- unaffiliated. And I am proud and vocal about it.

The rabid partisanship in politics is tearing the nation apart. The stranglehold that the parties have on certain areas of the country and state are bad for democracy.

In Utah, that hold is held by the Republican party, and over the years, the more ultra- conservative elements have gained greater control of the party. They are attempting to gain more.

The state legislature voted to limit Primary elections to registered voters IN that party. Now only voters who declare their allegiance to the party are allowed to cast a ballot. That means that those of us who believe in political anonymity are disenfranchised. And in Utah, that means the republican party leadership chooses our representatives.

The gerrymandering of the congressional districts by the legislature was another example of attempts to determine which party rules. Salt Lake, the only area of the state that could possibly be a non-Republican voting block, was carved into pieces to prevent that. A Democrat was elected anyway. I laughed. And I laughed when Joe Leiberman won as an independent after his party abandoned him.

Our representatives to the state legislature are now trying to make ALL races in the state into partisan races, even City Council and School Board. WHY?

I have voted for Republicans. I have voted for Democrats. I have even voted for a third party candidate. I read. I pay attention. I do research. I elect the person, and refuse to be dictated to by any party. That makes me dangerous. That also makes me in harmony with 40% of the voters, who feel the same way. Power to the people! No more power to the back room boys!

And, for the record, despite any rumors you may have heard, I am not a communist.

2 comments:

John Roylance said...

I don't understand how this makes any sense. Why would it be ok for a person who isn't a member of the Republican or any other party, to vote for that parties candidate?? It only makes sense for party members to vote for those who will represent their party. Disenfranchised, are you kidding? Could you vote in the general election? Then you do get to chose who your elected officials are. I see the point you are trying to make but your argument is off.
The GOPers rule because Utahans are too stupid and lazy to actually do their homework on a candidate. We deserve the government we have cause the majority of us don't care enough to do anything to change it.
With that said, thanks for at least trying to change things. If only more of the citizens would follow.

Roger Brown said...

John Roylance wrote:
> Why would it be ok for a person who
> isn't a member of the Republican or
> any other party, to vote for that
> parties candidate?? It only makes
> sense for party members to vote for
> those who will represent their party.

I can see what you're saying.

I'm also unaffiliated and I wish I could vote in the primaries during the even numbered years.

Here's an even better idea:

Why not get rid of the primaries and just have an open primary?

In other words, there is only 1 primary election -- all parties participate in it and only the top 2 candidates get to move on.

That way, it would be more fair and people wouldn't be so close minded.

It would be possible to have 2 people from the same party make it through the primary and go on to the general election.

George Washington warned about the spirit of parties in his "farewell address".


Most longtime Provo Republicans that I've met do not fully follow the Republican Party Platform on Property Rights -- they say they believe one thing and then they do another. It's sad. :(

That's one of the reasons I love getting involved in municipal elections -- there's no party nonsense going on -- at least not officially.

I hope that city elections and school board elections are forever non-partisan. I'll be letting my state reps know soon enough that i want them to stay that way.

Check out http://le.utah.gov to find yours and let them know.

Roger Brown
http://ProvoCitizens.net