RULES FOR COMMENTS

  • Be honest -- if you can't prove it, don't say it.
  • Be polite -- no profanity, name-calling, or rude language
  • Be relevant -- stick to the issues, no personal attacks

Monday, July 23, 2007

-- ANSWERS TO PROVOCITIZENS

In 2003, the following survey was done by the libertarian group, provocitizens. I post Midge's answers just as they appeared:

Provo City Council candidates
Candidate:

Question: Midge Johnson
District: 3
phone: 377-2444

What is the most pressing issue facing Provo today, and how would you address it?

Declining school enrollment, rental units out-numbering owner occupied housing, apathy, too much government restrictions and control. I believe we should enforce laws that are already on the books and be prudent in creating new laws and restrictions that burden families, home owners and businesses. I think we should foster a feeling of good will and not divisness over zoning issues. We all want to live in great neighborhoods and there are other ways to accomplish the sense of community we all desire without giving away our freedoms and over regulating citizens.

An attempt has been made to alleviate parking problems in Provo by delegating parking authority to the individual neighborhoods. Do you support this ordinance? Are there other areas where you would delegate such authority?

I haven't heard of this ordinance. On the surface it sounds like there may be some merit to it. I like the fact that neighborhoods can control their own destiny and solve some of their own problems.

How would you have voted (did you vote) on the council's proposal earlier this year to restrict non-owner-occupied properties, regardless of size, to 2 renters in all residential zones in Provo? Please explain your rationale.

I understand the Council's well-meaning intent with the 3 to 2 ordinance. I am not satisfied that they represented the option completely or fairly and therefore am leary of the neighborhoods voice in opting "in" to the ordinance. I am pleased that each neighborhood has the right to opt "out" as well. I think that if a home can support more than three renters with it's available amenities i.e. parking, etc. then they ought to be able to rent to it's capacity. I don't think there is anything magical about 3 to 2, (except the incentive to rent a house goes down with less rentals, which is just what the current City Council is hoping for.) I think they should enforce laws on the books if there is a specific problem area. I am not for enactng laws that control and restrict us.

Do you believe it is the job of the city government to decide how a property may look, who may live there, and other issues relating to private property rights? Are there any areas where the city may not interfere? What are they?

No I do not believe that is the role of city government. I do believe that some people exercise their freedom and property rights to the detriment of others' rights and that is when I believe government may need to enforce certain zoning restrictions.

Provo has a new apartment rental licensing ordinance. Would you have voted(did you vote) in favor of its passage? Would you vote for a repeal? Why or why not?

I probably would not have voted for it. Again I think it's a way to control our lives. They want the information that comes from such a registry to serve special interest groups. I think the administration of such an ordinance will prove overwhelming and the revenue will be minimal if it is designed to just cover those administration costs.

In what way are your positions/policies different from your opponents'? Why should we elect you?

I am the best candidate in the district #3 race. I believe Theron Harmon has some good ideas, they are too conservative for mainstream voters and I don't believe he has the life experience to do as well as I will. I believe Melanie McCoard also has some good ideas but I believe she has made up her mind on every issue confronting the voters. I don't believe she leaves room for their voice as she has her own agenda that coincides nicely with the trends of the current administration.

Would you vote to maintain, strengthen, weaken, or eliminate the city's current dance ordinance? MAINTAIN

Would you support an expansion of city administration to increase enforcement of zoning violations? NO

Would you vote in favor of a tax increase to pay for increased zoning enforcement? NO

Do you think student involvement in local politics is too great, too small, or about right? Too SMALL

Would you support an aggressive voter registration drive to increase student involvement? YES

Do you believe it is the job of the city council to decide on the renter/owner-occupant mix in Provo? NO

Do you believe the city council has done a good job of overseeing this mix? NO

Should Provo's government set a minimum house size for the city? NO

Will you sign a pledge to refrain from any and all negative campaigning on issues not related to your opponents' voting record or stated positions? YES

Elaborate on one of the short question answers and/or share anything else: www.midgejohnson.com will provide a picture for you.

Please compare Midge's answers THEN to her subsequent actions and votes over the past 4 years AND to her claims of position on her website this year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Roger Brown said...

Libertarians? Oh my, that would be funny if it wasn't sad. Calling ProvoCitizens.net as Libertarian is being intellectually lazy.

It was a tactic used by Stan Lockhart's supporters back in 2003. It backfired because people took the time to learn for themselves what we're about.

The same intellectual laziness would call Joseph Smith a Libertarian for saying "I teach the people correct principles and let them govern themselves."

People who don't want to take the time to use a solid argument get lazy and call us Libertarian.

Check out the truth for yourself at http://provocitizens.net

Roger Brown
Chairman, ProvoCitizens.net
356-1032

Roger Brown said...

I'm glad to see that people are holding at least 1 elected official accountable for what they said 4 years ago.

We'll be doing the same to all of the incumbents and former candidates including their comments on video. Candidates that have previously run have a public record that we've kept track of.

I don't play favorites.

Check it out next week at ProvoCitizens.net.

I love this quote from Abraham Lincoln:

"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong."